UPDATE: An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager who was reportedly fired after refusing to open on Thanksgiving, has alleged been offered his job back, CNN reported.
In a letter he wrote, detailing his frustration, manager Tony Rohr was willing to accept the consequences of not opening on Thanksgiving, which included “the end of my tenure with this company,” a company for which he had worked for the last 10 years.
The local Pizza Hut franchise said Rohr was not fired but that he had quit.
The store has now issued a statement, offering Rohr his job back.
“We fully respect an employee’s right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving,” the corporate office said in a statement. “As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team.”
There is no word on whether or not Rohr will take his job back.
An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager was reportedly fired after refusing to open his doors on Thanksgiving.
According to CNBC, Tony Rohr said he was informed it was mandatory to open on the holiday, but he claimed he thought the store would be closed.
“I just decided I wasn’t going to agree to it,” Rohr said. “All of these people the whole year had been told they were going to have the day off.”
Rohr, a former pizza cook who worked his way up to general manager, said he had not been asked to work a Thanksgiving in his 10 years with the company.
“They just said it was a competitive decision and that everyone was open, so we will be too,” Rohr added. “I said, ‘Why can’t we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees, and let them have the day off?’ ”
Rohr said he has no regrets about his decision.
Pizza Hut did not return CNBC’s request for comment.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development