UPDATE: An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager who was reportedly fired after refusing to open on Thanksgiving, has alleged been offered his job back, CNN reported.
In a letter he wrote, detailing his frustration, manager Tony Rohr was willing to accept the consequences of not opening on Thanksgiving, which included “the end of my tenure with this company,” a company for which he had worked for the last 10 years.
The local Pizza Hut franchise said Rohr was not fired but that he had quit.
The store has now issued a statement, offering Rohr his job back.
“We fully respect an employee’s right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving,” the corporate office said in a statement. “As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team.”
There is no word on whether or not Rohr will take his job back.
An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager was reportedly fired after refusing to open his doors on Thanksgiving.
According to CNBC, Tony Rohr said he was informed it was mandatory to open on the holiday, but he claimed he thought the store would be closed.
“I just decided I wasn’t going to agree to it,” Rohr said. “All of these people the whole year had been told they were going to have the day off.”
Rohr, a former pizza cook who worked his way up to general manager, said he had not been asked to work a Thanksgiving in his 10 years with the company.
“They just said it was a competitive decision and that everyone was open, so we will be too,” Rohr added. “I said, ‘Why can’t we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees, and let them have the day off?’ ”
Rohr said he has no regrets about his decision.
Pizza Hut did not return CNBC’s request for comment.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy