UPDATE: An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager who was reportedly fired after refusing to open on Thanksgiving, has alleged been offered his job back, CNN reported.
In a letter he wrote, detailing his frustration, manager Tony Rohr was willing to accept the consequences of not opening on Thanksgiving, which included “the end of my tenure with this company,” a company for which he had worked for the last 10 years.
The local Pizza Hut franchise said Rohr was not fired but that he had quit.
The store has now issued a statement, offering Rohr his job back.
“We fully respect an employee’s right to not work on a holiday, which is why the vast majority of Pizza Huts in America are closed on Thanksgiving,” the corporate office said in a statement. “As a result, we strongly recommended that the local franchisee reinstate the store manager and they have agreed. We look forward to them welcoming Tony back to the team.”
There is no word on whether or not Rohr will take his job back.
An Indiana Pizza Hut store manager was reportedly fired after refusing to open his doors on Thanksgiving.
According to CNBC, Tony Rohr said he was informed it was mandatory to open on the holiday, but he claimed he thought the store would be closed.
“I just decided I wasn’t going to agree to it,” Rohr said. “All of these people the whole year had been told they were going to have the day off.”
Rohr, a former pizza cook who worked his way up to general manager, said he had not been asked to work a Thanksgiving in his 10 years with the company.
“They just said it was a competitive decision and that everyone was open, so we will be too,” Rohr added. “I said, ‘Why can’t we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees, and let them have the day off?’ ”
Rohr said he has no regrets about his decision.
Pizza Hut did not return CNBC’s request for comment.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas