Hand in hand with homelessness, it seems, is begging. You’re without resource, without shelter, and the good will of others might seem the best escape from your difficult debacle.
But when a homeless Atlanta man, Joel Hartman, was digging through a dumpster for leftover food and found a wallet, he had no intentions of keeping the resource. Noticing the pocketbook contained the owner’s identification and credit cards, he began to go door to door to the nearest hotels in the area — asking not for money or food, but for the person whom the item belonged to.
Four hotels later, he found her — Anne Drouart of France, a guest at Atlanta’s Omni Hotel.
“Poor woman, she already lost her wallet,” Hartman told the Atlanta Journal Consitution, who first reported on the matter. “That’s got to be awful to be in another country and have this happen.”
For Hartman, that was the end. A good Samaritan exited the luxury hotel’s lobby and was headed back for the streets, perhaps to recommence his search for food.
For the Omni, it couldn’t be the end. When hotel general manager Scott Stuckey heard of Hartman’s deed, he had to find him.
“He did the right thing, and now I want to do the right thing for this guy,” he told the AJC.
So the Omni released surveillance footage of Hartman entering the hotel in hopes of tracking him down. A few days later, after Hartman heard of the buzz he had created and that he was a wanted man, he returned to the hotel. Now, he’ll stay there — in a 12th floor room — through Thanksgiving, with $500 in his pocket, courtesy of Stuckey.
“You’ve gotta be kidding me,” Hartman said. “I would hope someone would’ve done the same thing for me. I had no intention of anything like this ever happening.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier