A World War II veteran died peacefully on Oct. 25 in a nursing home in St. Annes, England, but he got the sendoff he deserved Monday.
Percival’s obituary said he had no close family to attend his funeral. It also asked, “Any service personnel who can attend his funeral service would be appreciated.”
Sgt. Rick Clement, who served in Afghanistan, stepped forward and asked people to attend.
Between Clement’s request and Percival’s obituary circulating on the Internet, a big crowd turned up at his funeral Monday, undeterred by a storm in the area. The Blackpool Gazette reported Saturday that “hundreds of people” — mostly ex-service personnel — pledged to pay their respects to Percival, who was 99 when he died. Percival’s nephew, David Worsell, planned to be in attendance as well.
Mr Percival was born in Penge, South London in 1914.
Mr Worsell revealed his uncle came to live the later years of his life on the Fylde coast after a period of travelling.
He had no children, was never married and it is believed moved from hotel to hotel, having lived in Australia for much of his life after the end of the war in 1945.
Mr Worsell added: “One of his great regrets was that he left the RAF. He never stayed in one place for very long and didn’t really say an awful lot about his experiences. As far as I know, he never really had any friends and was a bit of a loner.”
Twitter photos confirm that, indeed, a sizable crowd showed up to give him a proper sendoff.
Well done, humanity. Now that’s what you call getting the word out.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food