It’s not like this is the first time we’ve heard that all the beautiful pictures we see of women have been doctored with computer magic.
Years ago, there was a famous photo of singer Faith Hill from the cover of a magazine that made the rounds. I think she may have even been the one who put it on the Internet. It showed the raw photo of her taken in the studio side-by-side with the Photoshop-doctored one that actually hit stands.
And even a beauty like Faith was far from perfect. They had perfected her skin, shaved a little off her arms, tucked her waistline, smoothed her hair and highlighted it, etc.
I’ve even had pictures of myself doctored a little bit. I kind of liken it to “sweetening audio,” which is why what you hear on a CD or on the radio sounds smoother and cleaner than when you hear the live version.
But then I saw this video. It shows an average-looking woman at a photo shoot and, honestly, the result is absolutely astonishing. You’ll see the computerized transformation step-by-step.
I don’t even know why they needed her there at all, really. I think they went a bit too far in some of the doctoring. She almost looks like a mannequin and I think her neck is too long, but it just goes to point out how much we women need to quit comparing ourselves to celebrities and models whose pictures are in magazines and the like. They aren’t real! They are probably even comparing themselves to what they see.
Where is the healthy balance? On one hand, we have these images, and on the other we’re told that Americans are the most obese people on the planet!
Do you find that you still compare yourself to beautiful women in magazines and on the Internet and TV? Does your daughter? Knowing what we do, why do we still strive to a standard that is virtually unattainable, even by the best of us?
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America