It’s not like this is the first time we’ve heard that all the beautiful pictures we see of women have been doctored with computer magic.
Years ago, there was a famous photo of singer Faith Hill from the cover of a magazine that made the rounds. I think she may have even been the one who put it on the Internet. It showed the raw photo of her taken in the studio side-by-side with the Photoshop-doctored one that actually hit stands.
And even a beauty like Faith was far from perfect. They had perfected her skin, shaved a little off her arms, tucked her waistline, smoothed her hair and highlighted it, etc.
I’ve even had pictures of myself doctored a little bit. I kind of liken it to “sweetening audio,” which is why what you hear on a CD or on the radio sounds smoother and cleaner than when you hear the live version.
But then I saw this video. It shows an average-looking woman at a photo shoot and, honestly, the result is absolutely astonishing. You’ll see the computerized transformation step-by-step.
I don’t even know why they needed her there at all, really. I think they went a bit too far in some of the doctoring. She almost looks like a mannequin and I think her neck is too long, but it just goes to point out how much we women need to quit comparing ourselves to celebrities and models whose pictures are in magazines and the like. They aren’t real! They are probably even comparing themselves to what they see.
Where is the healthy balance? On one hand, we have these images, and on the other we’re told that Americans are the most obese people on the planet!
Do you find that you still compare yourself to beautiful women in magazines and on the Internet and TV? Does your daughter? Knowing what we do, why do we still strive to a standard that is virtually unattainable, even by the best of us?
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them