The Oregon bartender who won $17,500 off a Keno ticket given to her by a customer has big plans for her winnings: She wants to save it.
Aurora Kephart, 25, a bartender at Conways Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield, Ore., received two Keno tickets as part of a tip from a frequent customer on Oct. 3, according to ABC News.
She found out she had won the big prize while the customer, who preferred to remain anonymous to the media, was still in the diner. She tried to give it back to him, but he had her sign it before anyone else could claim it.
The next day, Kephart drove out to the Oregon Lottery office in Salem to reap her winnings. She then gave her good luck charm a percentage of the winnings, she said.
“I forced him to take it. I’m too humble for that,” Kephart said. “I absolutely just want to pay it forward. I don’t intend to keep all that money for myself.”
Other than donating some of her prize earnings to firefighters to benefit a muscular dystrophy charity, she said she hasn’t spent a dime.
“I have not bought anything, not shoes, not a T-shirt,” she said. “I have a couple of bills I’m going to pay off, but for the most part I’m just going to save it. I don’t want to blow money just because I came into money.”
Hear that, kids? It is still possible to have a good sum of money and not want to spend it all.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon