The Oregon bartender who won $17,500 off a Keno ticket given to her by a customer has big plans for her winnings: She wants to save it.
Aurora Kephart, 25, a bartender at Conways Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield, Ore., received two Keno tickets as part of a tip from a frequent customer on Oct. 3, according to ABC News.
She found out she had won the big prize while the customer, who preferred to remain anonymous to the media, was still in the diner. She tried to give it back to him, but he had her sign it before anyone else could claim it.
The next day, Kephart drove out to the Oregon Lottery office in Salem to reap her winnings. She then gave her good luck charm a percentage of the winnings, she said.
“I forced him to take it. I’m too humble for that,” Kephart said. “I absolutely just want to pay it forward. I don’t intend to keep all that money for myself.”
Other than donating some of her prize earnings to firefighters to benefit a muscular dystrophy charity, she said she hasn’t spent a dime.
“I have not bought anything, not shoes, not a T-shirt,” she said. “I have a couple of bills I’m going to pay off, but for the most part I’m just going to save it. I don’t want to blow money just because I came into money.”
Hear that, kids? It is still possible to have a good sum of money and not want to spend it all.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food