The Oregon bartender who won $17,500 off a Keno ticket given to her by a customer has big plans for her winnings: She wants to save it.
Aurora Kephart, 25, a bartender at Conways Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield, Ore., received two Keno tickets as part of a tip from a frequent customer on Oct. 3, according to ABC News.
She found out she had won the big prize while the customer, who preferred to remain anonymous to the media, was still in the diner. She tried to give it back to him, but he had her sign it before anyone else could claim it.
The next day, Kephart drove out to the Oregon Lottery office in Salem to reap her winnings. She then gave her good luck charm a percentage of the winnings, she said.
“I forced him to take it. I’m too humble for that,” Kephart said. “I absolutely just want to pay it forward. I don’t intend to keep all that money for myself.”
Other than donating some of her prize earnings to firefighters to benefit a muscular dystrophy charity, she said she hasn’t spent a dime.
“I have not bought anything, not shoes, not a T-shirt,” she said. “I have a couple of bills I’m going to pay off, but for the most part I’m just going to save it. I don’t want to blow money just because I came into money.”
Hear that, kids? It is still possible to have a good sum of money and not want to spend it all.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night