This man, 22-year old Matthew Cordle, has just admitted to killing someone.
He’s doing this before any charges have been filed against him. In a way this is the start of Cordle’s atonement.
In the early morning hours of June 22, 2013 he drove home drunk. He blacked out, swerved into oncoming traffic and hit 61-year old Vincent Canzani, killing him.
Matthew said this “video will act as my confession.” He said he’s going against all legal advice by doing this. Several attorneys told him they could probably get his blood test (which proved he was driving drunk) thrown out. Instead, Matthew said he’s going to accept whatever punishment comes his way.
He’s not doing this alone.
He’s got the help of Alex Sheen. Sheen shot the video for his new startup called Because I Said I Would. It’s a non-profit geared towards promises, focusing on charity. Sheen explained that his organization will hand out promise cards to, “help you remember the importance of your commitments and goals.”
Sheen knew using Cordle’s confession would generate attention, both good and bad but he said this was Cordle’s idea. He reached out to Sheen because he came across his website and liked the concept behind it. So we have his confession. So does the state of Ohio.
Maybe this isn’t the best way to attract attention for a startup, but maybe it’s worth it because it gets us to think about taking responsibility for our actions. Matthew Cordle did. And he’ll end up in jail because of it.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths