NEW YORK — Waffle tacos. Cronuts. The stranger the carb combination and mix of cuisines, the bigger sensation it will be. Enter: the Ramen Burger.
Keizo Shimamoto, 35, blogs about ramen, works as a part-time chef at a ramen shop in NYC, has traveled all over Japan eating ramen, and now, he is making burgers with ramen in a once-a-week pop-up shop, drawing hundreds of fellow ramen lovers.
Shimamoto cooks up a beef burger patty, tops it with scallions and arugula, drizzles his secret shoyu sauce over the top and smashes it between two congealed Sun Noodle ramen noodle patties.
“It’s just so good. The juices from the burger and the secret sauce, that shoyu flavor, come into your mouth, while your tongue separates the noodles,” Shimamoto said. “It’s a different experience from any other burger.”
The chef told the Daily Beast his concoction is an American twist on a Japanese dish that places a chasu pork filling between less-congealed ramen patties.
Last week, he debuted the burger at a Smorgasburg in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. People began lining up at 9 a.m. for the 11 a.m. opening, and, offering only 100 sandwiches to a line of hundreds, the demand for Shimamoto’s burgers far exceeded the supply. Saturday, he will whip up 300 for hungry New Yorkers.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development