NEW YORK — Waffle tacos. Cronuts. The stranger the carb combination and mix of cuisines, the bigger sensation it will be. Enter: the Ramen Burger.
Keizo Shimamoto, 35, blogs about ramen, works as a part-time chef at a ramen shop in NYC, has traveled all over Japan eating ramen, and now, he is making burgers with ramen in a once-a-week pop-up shop, drawing hundreds of fellow ramen lovers.
Shimamoto cooks up a beef burger patty, tops it with scallions and arugula, drizzles his secret shoyu sauce over the top and smashes it between two congealed Sun Noodle ramen noodle patties.
“It’s just so good. The juices from the burger and the secret sauce, that shoyu flavor, come into your mouth, while your tongue separates the noodles,” Shimamoto said. “It’s a different experience from any other burger.”
The chef told the Daily Beast his concoction is an American twist on a Japanese dish that places a chasu pork filling between less-congealed ramen patties.
Last week, he debuted the burger at a Smorgasburg in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. People began lining up at 9 a.m. for the 11 a.m. opening, and, offering only 100 sandwiches to a line of hundreds, the demand for Shimamoto’s burgers far exceeded the supply. Saturday, he will whip up 300 for hungry New Yorkers.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments