Those scary movies are right — there really are monsters in the underground.
London sanitation workers lived through “Attack of the Fatberg” a monstrous pile of fat that had to be removed from a sewer.
Workers for Thames Water took on the 15-ton blockage, which was interfering with toilet use in the area, for almost two weeks. Their national nightmare ended last week. Now repair crews are fixing the damage caused by the buildup of lard and wet wipes.
“If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston,” said Gordon Hailwood, a supervisor for Thames Water, in a press release.
Even scarier, it’s not the first time this has happened in London. The host city of last summer’s Olympics had a similar situation in 2010, according to media reports.
At least now we know what the monster eats and how often it tries to makes its way aboveground.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy