Those scary movies are right — there really are monsters in the underground.
London sanitation workers lived through “Attack of the Fatberg” a monstrous pile of fat that had to be removed from a sewer.
Workers for Thames Water took on the 15-ton blockage, which was interfering with toilet use in the area, for almost two weeks. Their national nightmare ended last week. Now repair crews are fixing the damage caused by the buildup of lard and wet wipes.
“If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston,” said Gordon Hailwood, a supervisor for Thames Water, in a press release.
Even scarier, it’s not the first time this has happened in London. The host city of last summer’s Olympics had a similar situation in 2010, according to media reports.
At least now we know what the monster eats and how often it tries to makes its way aboveground.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night