Those scary movies are right — there really are monsters in the underground.
London sanitation workers lived through “Attack of the Fatberg” a monstrous pile of fat that had to be removed from a sewer.
Workers for Thames Water took on the 15-ton blockage, which was interfering with toilet use in the area, for almost two weeks. Their national nightmare ended last week. Now repair crews are fixing the damage caused by the buildup of lard and wet wipes.
“If we hadn’t discovered it in time, raw sewage could have started spurting out of manholes across the whole of Kingston,” said Gordon Hailwood, a supervisor for Thames Water, in a press release.
Even scarier, it’s not the first time this has happened in London. The host city of last summer’s Olympics had a similar situation in 2010, according to media reports.
At least now we know what the monster eats and how often it tries to makes its way aboveground.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development