A local station from Michigan investigated whether local pandhandlers were actually lying, and as it turns out, some of them are.
WGRD ran with a story from the local ABC news afiliate that revealed some local panhandlers really are struggling, while some lie to get some extra pennies.
Such was the case of Rudy, a homeless man who claims he’s a veteran, but who uses the money he collects to buy alcohol.
The “Free Beer & Hot Wings Morning Show” sent out one of their producers to follow Rudy around and see what he would do when Joe, the producer, took over his spot.
Joe met Rudy at his usual spot but instead of saying anything to him, he held up a sign with the words “Liar” pointing at Rudy. Rudy then took off on his mountain bike which was parked not too far from his pandhandling spot.
The crew of WGRD decided that Joe should continue to “panhandle”, but for a good cause — the money would go to Grand Rapids Home for Veterans.
Watch the origional report by the local ABC news station:
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains