A Vancouver, Wash. man pleaded not guilty after firing his gun to chase off car thieves and claimed Vice President Joe Biden told him to do it.
According to KOIN.com, 52-year-old Jeffrey Barton pleaded not guilty for illegally aiming and firing the weapon.
Barton reportedly admitted to deputies that he fired his weapon while chasing away people who he thought were breaking into his vehicles at 5804 NE 124th St. in the early morning hours Monday.
Barton said that he was only doing what Biden told people to do during a Q&A session back in February.
“I did what Joe Biden told me to do,” Barton told KOIN. “I went outside and fired my shotgun in the air.”
Authorities said that what he did was not protected under the law. Barton is due back in court but no schedule for the date has been set.
- Sheriff Paul Penzone looking to eliminate ‘Tent City’ phrase in 2018
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ contestant Evie Clair sings Christmas carols
- One year in, Paul Penzone continues to address ‘culture of hate’ claims
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest stories from past weekend in Arizona, nation
- Palo Verde Middle School teacher gets monthly KTAR News award