LOS ANGELES — A child undergoing cancer treatments in a Los Angeles hospital received dozens of pizzas after her family wrote on her window requesting people to send the food to her room.
Lauren Hammersley has been documenting her daughter's ongoing battle with cancer on her blog, “Our Little Hazlenut.” Hazel Hammersley, 2, had been in the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles for several weeks undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Lauren decided to “have a little fun” and she and her mother put a sign on the hospital window with medical tape reading, “Send Pizza Rm 4112.”
Someone saw the sign and posted a photo of it on the popular website Reddit, according to the Daily Mail where it immediately went viral. Within a few hours, the hospital had received several pizzas.
“Hazel woke up from her nap to the smell of pizza and was so excited to chow down!” Lauren wrote on her blog. “Several other children and nurses came into the room, with music playing, and had themselves a wonderful Pizza Party.”
After the photo of the pizza sign had been online for almost a day, over 20 pizzas had been delivered to Hazel's hospital room and the Hammersley family were able to feed several other patients and their families on Hazel's floor. Eventually, Lauren had to post online and ask people to stop sending pizzas.
“Due to the sheer number of pizzas and inquiries from the media, the hospital has asked that the pizza deliveries end and thank everyone for their support,” Lauren wrote. “We have been absolutely humbled and surprised by the outpouring of love and support from the online community and can only hope and pray that this brings awareness to Neuroblastoma and the Childhood Cancer Community.”
Hazel was diagnosed with a high-risk, stage three Neuroblastoma on April 24, 2013. She will be receiving 18 months of hospital treatment.
Faith Heaton Jolley is a UVU graduate and currently works at KSL as a content manager and writer for ksl.com. Contact her at email@example.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.