The Boston Brewing Company is defending a new ad that first aired a few weeks ago that omitted religion from a Constitutionally-based quote.
According to the Huffington Post, the makers of Samuel Adams received quite a bit of online heat after the commercial failed to mention the “Creator,” a Constitutional reference to God.
In the ad, an actor explains why a beer would be named after Samuel Adams, but didn’t quote the Constitution directly. If he did, the direct quote would have been, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Instead, the beer maker eliminated religion from the quote, claiming it was adhering to advertising standards agreed upon by the entirety of the beer industry.
“We adhere to an advertising code, established by the Beer Institute — a beer industry trade organization — that states, ‘Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes.’ … We agree with that, and we follow these guidelines and approach our marketing with the utmost responsibility.”
The reactions to the decision posted on Sam Adams’ Facebook page has been less than positive to say the least.
What do you think? Watch the ad below and let us know if you have a problem with it in the comments.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments