The Boston Brewing Company is defending a new ad that first aired a few weeks ago that omitted religion from a Constitutionally-based quote.
According to the Huffington Post, the makers of Samuel Adams received quite a bit of online heat after the commercial failed to mention the “Creator,” a Constitutional reference to God.
In the ad, an actor explains why a beer would be named after Samuel Adams, but didn’t quote the Constitution directly. If he did, the direct quote would have been, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Instead, the beer maker eliminated religion from the quote, claiming it was adhering to advertising standards agreed upon by the entirety of the beer industry.
“We adhere to an advertising code, established by the Beer Institute — a beer industry trade organization — that states, ‘Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes.’ … We agree with that, and we follow these guidelines and approach our marketing with the utmost responsibility.”
The reactions to the decision posted on Sam Adams’ Facebook page has been less than positive to say the least.
What do you think? Watch the ad below and let us know if you have a problem with it in the comments.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night