The Boston Brewing Company is defending a new ad that first aired a few weeks ago that omitted religion from a Constitutionally-based quote.
According to the Huffington Post, the makers of Samuel Adams received quite a bit of online heat after the commercial failed to mention the “Creator,” a Constitutional reference to God.
In the ad, an actor explains why a beer would be named after Samuel Adams, but didn’t quote the Constitution directly. If he did, the direct quote would have been, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Instead, the beer maker eliminated religion from the quote, claiming it was adhering to advertising standards agreed upon by the entirety of the beer industry.
“We adhere to an advertising code, established by the Beer Institute — a beer industry trade organization — that states, ‘Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes.’ … We agree with that, and we follow these guidelines and approach our marketing with the utmost responsibility.”
The reactions to the decision posted on Sam Adams’ Facebook page has been less than positive to say the least.
What do you think? Watch the ad below and let us know if you have a problem with it in the comments.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy