The Boston Brewing Company is defending a new ad that first aired a few weeks ago that omitted religion from a Constitutionally-based quote.
According to the Huffington Post, the makers of Samuel Adams received quite a bit of online heat after the commercial failed to mention the “Creator,” a Constitutional reference to God.
In the ad, an actor explains why a beer would be named after Samuel Adams, but didn’t quote the Constitution directly. If he did, the direct quote would have been, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Instead, the beer maker eliminated religion from the quote, claiming it was adhering to advertising standards agreed upon by the entirety of the beer industry.
“We adhere to an advertising code, established by the Beer Institute — a beer industry trade organization — that states, ‘Beer advertising and marketing materials should not include religion or religious themes.’ … We agree with that, and we follow these guidelines and approach our marketing with the utmost responsibility.”
The reactions to the decision posted on Sam Adams’ Facebook page has been less than positive to say the least.
What do you think? Watch the ad below and let us know if you have a problem with it in the comments.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier