That’s one tough violin.
According to the Huffington Post, a violin thought to belong to Titanic bandmaster Wallace Hartley, who went down with the ship, was confirmed to be real on Thursday following a CT scan.
The CT scan’s findings revealed deterioration consistent with that which an authentic violin from the Titanic would have experienced, Aldridge explained. “The violin was in a heavy-duty leather Gladstone-type bag, so the violin would have come into contact with water, but it would have been protected by the leather,” he said. “The instrument is also held together with animal glue, which melts when it is hot, not when it is cold.”
The violin was also found with several other hints to its age, including a silver tag that was a popular style around 1910.
The violin was returned to Hartley’s fiance after his death aboard Titanic. The instrument was then passed to the current owner’s mother.
The current owner is considering sending the instrument to auction.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night