That’s one tough violin.
According to the Huffington Post, a violin thought to belong to Titanic bandmaster Wallace Hartley, who went down with the ship, was confirmed to be real on Thursday following a CT scan.
The CT scan’s findings revealed deterioration consistent with that which an authentic violin from the Titanic would have experienced, Aldridge explained. “The violin was in a heavy-duty leather Gladstone-type bag, so the violin would have come into contact with water, but it would have been protected by the leather,” he said. “The instrument is also held together with animal glue, which melts when it is hot, not when it is cold.”
The violin was also found with several other hints to its age, including a silver tag that was a popular style around 1910.
The violin was returned to Hartley’s fiance after his death aboard Titanic. The instrument was then passed to the current owner’s mother.
The current owner is considering sending the instrument to auction.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development