They say it takes a village to raise a child. Luke Air Force Base has become that village to help military spouses raise their children while their spouse is away on deployment.
The lives of Senior Master Sgt. Plez Glenn and his wife, Master Sgt. Tenequa Glenn, were turned upside down when Tenequa was deployed to Afghanistan, leaving Plez a temporary single parent to their 20-month-old triplets.
“One of the most difficult things I’ve done for sure,” said Plez.
One thing that made the transition a little easier on the Glenn family was the Airmen and Family Readiness Center (AFRC) at Luke Air Force Base.
The AFRC provides programs to help families before, during and after deployment.
Sgt. Nicole Eisenbarth went through the AFRC and now works there. The goal of the center is to “prepare, sustain and reintegrate” military families going through deployment.
“We’re pretty passionate about giving them individual care,” said Eisenbarth. “[We want to] bolster them and make them better.”
Sheryl Bush also works on the base in partnership with the AFRC. Working mainly in the youth center, Bush works with anywhere from 200 to 500 military children.
“We are able to provide the children with programs, activities to keep them engaged,” said Bush. “Whenever we see any signs of anything that might be the child missing mom or dad then that’s where the (AFRC) comes in and we partner to provide the services needed to help the child deal with that transition time.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier