They say it takes a village to raise a child. Luke Air Force Base has become that village to help military spouses raise their children while their spouse is away on deployment.
The lives of Senior Master Sgt. Plez Glenn and his wife, Master Sgt. Tenequa Glenn, were turned upside down when Tenequa was deployed to Afghanistan, leaving Plez a temporary single parent to their 20-month-old triplets.
“One of the most difficult things I’ve done for sure,” said Plez.
One thing that made the transition a little easier on the Glenn family was the Airmen and Family Readiness Center (AFRC) at Luke Air Force Base.
The AFRC provides programs to help families before, during and after deployment.
Sgt. Nicole Eisenbarth went through the AFRC and now works there. The goal of the center is to “prepare, sustain and reintegrate” military families going through deployment.
“We’re pretty passionate about giving them individual care,” said Eisenbarth. “[We want to] bolster them and make them better.”
Sheryl Bush also works on the base in partnership with the AFRC. Working mainly in the youth center, Bush works with anywhere from 200 to 500 military children.
“We are able to provide the children with programs, activities to keep them engaged,” said Bush. “Whenever we see any signs of anything that might be the child missing mom or dad then that’s where the (AFRC) comes in and we partner to provide the services needed to help the child deal with that transition time.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets