This week, KTAR is taking a close look at the family, and I thought it was such a good idea that I decided to do the same. That is, take a close look at my family.
Not my wife and kids, but the family that I grew up in. I’m not highlighting the McMahons as role models for anyone, I just think it’s important to know that things can work out pretty well even when nothing looks like the ideal family structure.
First, both of my parents worked. They worked together, mostly at night, as entertainers. I never lived in a house as a child. For the first few years we stayed, as actors often did, in hotels and then traveling.
My childhood home was a trailer. That was before they were called mobile homes. But if my parents and I were perpetually on the road, back and forth across the country, how could I get an education?
I was homeschooled by my mom, who had never taught anything but dancing. So with no roots, no neighborhood, absolutely nothing close to a traditional family, why didn’t I wind up in jail?
Because I was loved unconditionally in a social unit of three that I will always proudly call my family.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon