This week, KTAR is taking a close look at the family, and I thought it was such a good idea that I decided to do the same. That is, take a close look at my family.
Not my wife and kids, but the family that I grew up in. I’m not highlighting the McMahons as role models for anyone, I just think it’s important to know that things can work out pretty well even when nothing looks like the ideal family structure.
First, both of my parents worked. They worked together, mostly at night, as entertainers. I never lived in a house as a child. For the first few years we stayed, as actors often did, in hotels and then traveling.
My childhood home was a trailer. That was before they were called mobile homes. But if my parents and I were perpetually on the road, back and forth across the country, how could I get an education?
I was homeschooled by my mom, who had never taught anything but dancing. So with no roots, no neighborhood, absolutely nothing close to a traditional family, why didn’t I wind up in jail?
Because I was loved unconditionally in a social unit of three that I will always proudly call my family.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes