PHOENIX — Arizona’s wine industry is well on the rise and one Arizona school is dedicated to educating the vintners of tomorrow.
The School of Viticulture and Enology at Yavapai College will soon open the Southwest Wine Center of Arizona, a facility that officials want to serve as both the hub of wine information for the southwestern United States and a full business-scale wine-making facility for students.
The school’s director, Nikki Check, said the center will teach students the entire process of making wine, from the field to store shelves.
“If you take viticulture classes, you are out there planting vines and managing vineyards,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Thursday. “Once you get to your enology year, you’re in the cellar helping us make wine and you’re working a day in the tasting room to see what it’s like to sell wine.”
The school launched it’s full associate’s degree last fall, but it was a long road from the program’s debut in 2009.
“Initially, we had a lot of hobbyist students come in,” said Check. “Every year, it’s gotten progressively more and more serious where people are now coming in and they either are really looking to build a career in this industry or invest in a vineyard or winery.”
Check said students network with winemakers in the Verde Valley, where wine has become a $50 million annual industry.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets