PHOENIX — Arizona’s wine industry is well on the rise and one Arizona school is dedicated to educating the vintners of tomorrow.
The School of Viticulture and Enology at Yavapai College will soon open the Southwest Wine Center of Arizona, a facility that officials want to serve as both the hub of wine information for the southwestern United States and a full business-scale wine-making facility for students.
The school’s director, Nikki Check, said the center will teach students the entire process of making wine, from the field to store shelves.
“If you take viticulture classes, you are out there planting vines and managing vineyards,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Thursday. “Once you get to your enology year, you’re in the cellar helping us make wine and you’re working a day in the tasting room to see what it’s like to sell wine.”
The school launched it’s full associate’s degree last fall, but it was a long road from the program’s debut in 2009.
“Initially, we had a lot of hobbyist students come in,” said Check. “Every year, it’s gotten progressively more and more serious where people are now coming in and they either are really looking to build a career in this industry or invest in a vineyard or winery.”
Check said students network with winemakers in the Verde Valley, where wine has become a $50 million annual industry.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development