PHOENIX — Arizona’s wine industry is well on the rise and one Arizona school is dedicated to educating the vintners of tomorrow.
The School of Viticulture and Enology at Yavapai College will soon open the Southwest Wine Center of Arizona, a facility that officials want to serve as both the hub of wine information for the southwestern United States and a full business-scale wine-making facility for students.
The school’s director, Nikki Check, said the center will teach students the entire process of making wine, from the field to store shelves.
“If you take viticulture classes, you are out there planting vines and managing vineyards,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Thursday. “Once you get to your enology year, you’re in the cellar helping us make wine and you’re working a day in the tasting room to see what it’s like to sell wine.”
The school launched it’s full associate’s degree last fall, but it was a long road from the program’s debut in 2009.
“Initially, we had a lot of hobbyist students come in,” said Check. “Every year, it’s gotten progressively more and more serious where people are now coming in and they either are really looking to build a career in this industry or invest in a vineyard or winery.”
Check said students network with winemakers in the Verde Valley, where wine has become a $50 million annual industry.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night