The name United Cerebral Palsy might make it sounds like the group only works with one type of person, but that’s not true.
“UCP serves kids that not only have Cerebral Palsy, but that have Down syndrome, autism, developmental delays, learning disabilities and other types of conditions,” United Cerebral Palsy of Central Arizona CEO Armando Contreras told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie.
UCP works with about 7,000 people annually who need assistance in assimilating into the world and they don’t waste any time.
“It starts with early intervention,” said Contreras. “We serve kids from 0 to 5. We have a early learning center that is integrated with ‘typical’ kids.”
The program looks to build confidence from the get-go and even emulates what classroom like will be like. UCP also begins therapy from day one to help them progress.
“We also have an after-school program that provides them with the tools that they need in society and to get out there with their families,” said Contreras.
The after-school function pushes those 3 to 21 into different environments by taking them on field trips. It also works with kids on their homework, computers and the arts.
To learn more about UCP, go to ucpofcentralaz.org.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier