The underlying issue of what some people may have thought was a concussion could actually be a Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI.
Former KTAR host Darrell Ankarlo, who works with Brain Injury Alliance of Arizona talked with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James about bringing awareness of TBI.
Ankarlo was involved in a car accident when another driver hit him three years ago.
“Our goal is to train people to stop using the word ‘concussion’,” said Ankarlo.
He said if someone has been injured in a traumatic way, their brain has been affected somehow.
“Your brain tries to fix itself, but at certain points it does not know it’s damage, especially early on. People did not realize how depressed I was.”
Ankarlo said that people with TBI can suffer with memory issues and speech issues.
“You become angry and you have fits of rage. I learned to work around it because I was causing major damage to my family.”
According to Ankarlo, 7 percent of Americans suffer from TBI.
“I know that I get anxious. I get frustrated very easily,” he said. “Now, you sit and you think about the frustration.”
The diagnosis part happens when people close to someone that may suffer from TBI start to see a change in that person.
Ankarlo said TBI symptoms are closely related to stroke symptoms. Early on, he had seizures and blacked out.
After people figure out they have a TBI, they can start to move forward.
“You can become functioning. You look through the process, you look through the therapy and things start to get better,” Ankarlo said. “You always have that Traumatic Brain Injury so it’s there, but you move past it.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas