The underlying issue of what some people may have thought was a concussion could actually be a Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI.
Former KTAR host Darrell Ankarlo, who works with Brain Injury Alliance of Arizona talked with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James about bringing awareness of TBI.
Ankarlo was involved in a car accident when another driver hit him three years ago.
“Our goal is to train people to stop using the word ‘concussion’,” said Ankarlo.
He said if someone has been injured in a traumatic way, their brain has been affected somehow.
“Your brain tries to fix itself, but at certain points it does not know it’s damage, especially early on. People did not realize how depressed I was.”
Ankarlo said that people with TBI can suffer with memory issues and speech issues.
“You become angry and you have fits of rage. I learned to work around it because I was causing major damage to my family.”
According to Ankarlo, 7 percent of Americans suffer from TBI.
“I know that I get anxious. I get frustrated very easily,” he said. “Now, you sit and you think about the frustration.”
The diagnosis part happens when people close to someone that may suffer from TBI start to see a change in that person.
Ankarlo said TBI symptoms are closely related to stroke symptoms. Early on, he had seizures and blacked out.
After people figure out they have a TBI, they can start to move forward.
“You can become functioning. You look through the process, you look through the therapy and things start to get better,” Ankarlo said. “You always have that Traumatic Brain Injury so it’s there, but you move past it.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona