The underlying issue of what some people may have thought was a concussion could actually be a Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI.
Former KTAR host Darrell Ankarlo, who works with Brain Injury Alliance of Arizona talked with News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James about bringing awareness of TBI.
Ankarlo was involved in a car accident when another driver hit him three years ago.
“Our goal is to train people to stop using the word ‘concussion’,” said Ankarlo.
He said if someone has been injured in a traumatic way, their brain has been affected somehow.
“Your brain tries to fix itself, but at certain points it does not know it’s damage, especially early on. People did not realize how depressed I was.”
Ankarlo said that people with TBI can suffer with memory issues and speech issues.
“You become angry and you have fits of rage. I learned to work around it because I was causing major damage to my family.”
According to Ankarlo, 7 percent of Americans suffer from TBI.
“I know that I get anxious. I get frustrated very easily,” he said. “Now, you sit and you think about the frustration.”
The diagnosis part happens when people close to someone that may suffer from TBI start to see a change in that person.
Ankarlo said TBI symptoms are closely related to stroke symptoms. Early on, he had seizures and blacked out.
After people figure out they have a TBI, they can start to move forward.
“You can become functioning. You look through the process, you look through the therapy and things start to get better,” Ankarlo said. “You always have that Traumatic Brain Injury so it’s there, but you move past it.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them