The needs of homeless families that exist are year-round. A Valley homeless shelter is helping to break the cycle of homelessness.
UMOM is the largest homeless shelter for families in the state of Arizona that offers transitional and permanent housing.
According to Darlene Newsome, CEO of UMOM, they have 134 families that live on the main campus and by the end of the year they going to be expanding up to 156 families.
Newsome said that UMOM loosely defines the term family because it can be a single parent, a two-parent family or a grandparent raising a child.
“We believe that every family deserves an opportunity to have a better life,” Newsome told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James.
“It’s a place where people can change their lives.”
UMOM offers families case management services, child care, after school programs, employment assistance and a medical facility.
The shelter is looking for Christmas gifts currently, especially for teenagers as well as jackets and sweaters for the cooler weather.
For more information, visit UMOM.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl