The needs of homeless families that exist are year-round. A Valley homeless shelter is helping to break the cycle of homelessness.
UMOM is the largest homeless shelter for families in the state of Arizona that offers transitional and permanent housing.
According to Darlene Newsome, CEO of UMOM, they have 134 families that live on the main campus and by the end of the year they going to be expanding up to 156 families.
Newsome said that UMOM loosely defines the term family because it can be a single parent, a two-parent family or a grandparent raising a child.
“We believe that every family deserves an opportunity to have a better life,” Newsome told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James.
“It’s a place where people can change their lives.”
UMOM offers families case management services, child care, after school programs, employment assistance and a medical facility.
The shelter is looking for Christmas gifts currently, especially for teenagers as well as jackets and sweaters for the cooler weather.
For more information, visit UMOM.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick