Many young girls and women get trapped in a lifestyle of prostitution because they don’t have the resources to leave, which is why the DIGNITY program was started.
Laura Toussant-Newkirk, spokesperson for Catholic Charities and DIGNITY(Developing Individual Growth and New Independence Through Yourself) was started by a sex-trafficking survivor when she noticed a lot of women going in-and-out of jail because they didn’t have services to overcome their issues.
“A lot of people think of prostitution as a victimless crime,” Toussant-Newkirk told Mac & Gaydos. “Most don’t realize that 85 percent of them came from abusive homes and started as young as 13.”
DIGNITY provides outreach on the streets and in jail.
Toussant-Newkirk said if individuals are arrested for prostitution, they can elect to do an intensive 3-month program to rebuild their lives.
“89 percent of the individuals that complete the program are not rearrested,” she said. “That saves the city of Phoenix a little over $300,000 in jail costs each year.”
DIGNITY also provides a year-long residential program where women can work on overcoming issues of self-esteem and breaking the cycle of that lifestyle.
“93 percent of people who graduate, leave the life for good.”
For many of the women in the program, they have no permanent address, no job experience, no health care and very low self-esteem.
They are constantly looking for volunteer help and donations so those in the program can find success when they leave.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident