Many young girls and women get trapped in a lifestyle of prostitution because they don’t have the resources to leave, which is why the DIGNITY program was started.
Laura Toussant-Newkirk, spokesperson for Catholic Charities and DIGNITY(Developing Individual Growth and New Independence Through Yourself) was started by a sex-trafficking survivor when she noticed a lot of women going in-and-out of jail because they didn’t have services to overcome their issues.
“A lot of people think of prostitution as a victimless crime,” Toussant-Newkirk told Mac & Gaydos. “Most don’t realize that 85 percent of them came from abusive homes and started as young as 13.”
DIGNITY provides outreach on the streets and in jail.
Toussant-Newkirk said if individuals are arrested for prostitution, they can elect to do an intensive 3-month program to rebuild their lives.
“89 percent of the individuals that complete the program are not rearrested,” she said. “That saves the city of Phoenix a little over $300,000 in jail costs each year.”
DIGNITY also provides a year-long residential program where women can work on overcoming issues of self-esteem and breaking the cycle of that lifestyle.
“93 percent of people who graduate, leave the life for good.”
For many of the women in the program, they have no permanent address, no job experience, no health care and very low self-esteem.
They are constantly looking for volunteer help and donations so those in the program can find success when they leave.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona