Around the holidays, everyone thinks about doing something charitable, but there are needs for people year-round.
According to Col. Olin Hogan from the Salvation Army, there is a huge growth in homeless families.
“The Salvation Army is very concerned about hunger and homelessness,” Hogan told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James. “One of the issues for us, for instance, is nearly 900,000 people have hunger issues.”
The Phoenix Salvation Army serves over 350,000 individuals during the year.
“For many years, we’ve been very concerned about people who don’t have a place to live and they don’t have enough food.”
The Salvation Army started Project Hope, which sends volunteers and employees to meet with homeless people to help them find homes and work.
“We are going to do the best we can to help find those people and get them back into normalized living,” said Hogan.
Hogan said people have misconceptions about there being fewer homeless individuals.
“The people we talk to don’t see that,” he said.
People can donate time, money or they can volunteer for services at the Salvation Army if they want to help.
This Christmas season, the Salvation Army will give 50,000 toys to children around the Valley. The organization also plans to make sure over 1,100 people are served through its adopt-a-family program and that 17,000 people are fed a holiday meal.
“We really believe that service is its own reward,” Hogan said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier