Around the holidays, everyone thinks about doing something charitable, but there are needs for people year-round.
According to Col. Olin Hogan from the Salvation Army, there is a huge growth in homeless families.
“The Salvation Army is very concerned about hunger and homelessness,” Hogan told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James. “One of the issues for us, for instance, is nearly 900,000 people have hunger issues.”
The Phoenix Salvation Army serves over 350,000 individuals during the year.
“For many years, we’ve been very concerned about people who don’t have a place to live and they don’t have enough food.”
The Salvation Army started Project Hope, which sends volunteers and employees to meet with homeless people to help them find homes and work.
“We are going to do the best we can to help find those people and get them back into normalized living,” said Hogan.
Hogan said people have misconceptions about there being fewer homeless individuals.
“The people we talk to don’t see that,” he said.
People can donate time, money or they can volunteer for services at the Salvation Army if they want to help.
This Christmas season, the Salvation Army will give 50,000 toys to children around the Valley. The organization also plans to make sure over 1,100 people are served through its adopt-a-family program and that 17,000 people are fed a holiday meal.
“We really believe that service is its own reward,” Hogan said.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona