Around the holidays, everyone thinks about doing something charitable, but there are needs for people year-round.
According to Col. Olin Hogan from the Salvation Army, there is a huge growth in homeless families.
“The Salvation Army is very concerned about hunger and homelessness,” Hogan told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James. “One of the issues for us, for instance, is nearly 900,000 people have hunger issues.”
The Phoenix Salvation Army serves over 350,000 individuals during the year.
“For many years, we’ve been very concerned about people who don’t have a place to live and they don’t have enough food.”
The Salvation Army started Project Hope, which sends volunteers and employees to meet with homeless people to help them find homes and work.
“We are going to do the best we can to help find those people and get them back into normalized living,” said Hogan.
Hogan said people have misconceptions about there being fewer homeless individuals.
“The people we talk to don’t see that,” he said.
People can donate time, money or they can volunteer for services at the Salvation Army if they want to help.
This Christmas season, the Salvation Army will give 50,000 toys to children around the Valley. The organization also plans to make sure over 1,100 people are served through its adopt-a-family program and that 17,000 people are fed a holiday meal.
“We really believe that service is its own reward,” Hogan said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon