Do you have less than $500 in savings? You’re not alone.
While it is a good idea to have extra cash in case of a financial emergency, 41 percent of Americans have less than $500 saved, according to CreditDonkey.
Surprisingly, many who don’t have $500 in savings live in two-income households, own cars, homes and some luxuries. This group has come to be known as the “liquid-asset poor” because of their inability to quickly pay for a financial emergency with hard cash.
In many instances, they would have to rely on credit to fix their problem, an option that could put a strain on their credit score.
Fifty-four percent of the 1,105 Americans surveyed didn’t have a strategy in place to save money while 45 percent felt they would never be able to save a lot of money.
While many families feel it is impossible to save three to six months of wages for larger emergencies, many can still save for smaller unexpected emergencies, such as a car repair, according to CreditDonkey.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain