Do you have less than $500 in savings? You’re not alone.
While it is a good idea to have extra cash in case of a financial emergency, 41 percent of Americans have less than $500 saved, according to CreditDonkey.
Surprisingly, many who don’t have $500 in savings live in two-income households, own cars, homes and some luxuries. This group has come to be known as the “liquid-asset poor” because of their inability to quickly pay for a financial emergency with hard cash.
In many instances, they would have to rely on credit to fix their problem, an option that could put a strain on their credit score.
Fifty-four percent of the 1,105 Americans surveyed didn’t have a strategy in place to save money while 45 percent felt they would never be able to save a lot of money.
While many families feel it is impossible to save three to six months of wages for larger emergencies, many can still save for smaller unexpected emergencies, such as a car repair, according to CreditDonkey.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever