I consider myself lucky, but also realize my situation was somewhat different then most people. I grew up having my maternal grandparents living in the same town. Until I was 10 they lived at most 10 minutes away, at which point they moved 4 blocks away. My grandparents stayed home with me when I was sick, watched me while my parents sometimes worked at night, hosted Easter egg hunts in their backyard, let me stir the sugar water while they canned, allowed me to sleepover and watch late night cartoons in their bed, and took me out to ice cream. I wasn’t the only one; I was one of 12 grandchildren living in the same town.
My grandparents made grandparenting look easy, although I am sure it took some effort on their part. The most important thing to remember when concerning your grandchildren is to make time.
Anyone can be a good grandparent and can become involved in their grandchildren’s lives with the following seven ideas:
- Attend their activities; music and dance recitals, athletic events, plays, etc.
- Teach them a talent or skill; woodworking, sewing, painting, a musical instrument, cooking, etc.
- Host sleepovers.
- Volunteer in their school classroom.
- Host “dates” with each child individually and in small groups of grandchildren; check out local parks, swimming pools, zoos, museums, go out to eat or for ice cream.
- If you live at a distance, video chat with your grandchildren on a weekly basis. Even is you live close, grandchildren can still get a kick out of seeing their grandparents in the computer.
- If you live far away and circumstances allow, try to visit your grandchildren at least twice a year.
The connection between a grandparent and his/her grandchild is a special one, but one that needs to be constantly nurtured. Making time for your grandchildren is a surefire way to enrich your life and the lives of your grandchildren.
A native of Washington state, LeAnn Udy Mills currently resides in Harrisville, Utah. She is a mother of two and a graduate of Utah State University with a degree in elementary education.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier