A person’s last name may be a determining factor in their lifelong success, according to NPR.
Social scientists have wondered for years whether social mobility or one’s ability to move up (or down) in society is controlled by family history or individual effort.
Gregory Clark, an economic historian from the University of California, discovered that the status of a surname has an impact on an individual’s wealth.
“We can’t predict the individual aspects of where you’ll end up, but if we want to rank you overall in society, maybe as much as 60 percent of the outcome is determined at the time of conception,” Clark told NPR.
Clark found that even distant relatives across several nations were often in the same status positions, regardless of a variety of other factors.
“It is shocking that the number is as constant as it is,” Joseph Ferrie, an economic historian at Northwestern University who’s been following Clark’s work, told NPR.
Previous studies only looked at a couple of generations, but Clark’s research across several generations shows that individuals don’t change their economic status as much as was previously believed.
Families do, however, move up the social ladders, it just takes a few centuries.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier