Phoenix woman suffers serious road rash after attempted purse theft
Let this be a warning ladies, purse snatchers don’t stand out in a crowd — and they strike in both good and bad neighborhoods.
This one happened on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at about 5:30 p.m. at 16th Street and Bethany Home Road.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Darren Burch said a 58-year-old woman was walking in front of the windows of the shops at a strip mall when a man came up from behind and grabbed her purse.
“But what was interesting is the way he did this,” Burch said, “he walked into a store for a few seconds and, when she passed by, he came back out and approached her from behind.
“He grabbed her purse, she held on and he dragged her into the parking lot.”
She suffered a pretty serious case of road rash and other injuries, but the guy took off without her purse. He had backed his car into a space for a quick getaway. He was driving a white Pontiac Grand Am.
To read more about this case, click here.
Arizona's Morning News
- Woman arrested after boyfriend found beaten to death in Phoenix home
- Stanton responds to union claim that inaction as mayor led to robbery
- Sears files for bankruptcy, will close 3 stores in Phoenix area, 142 across US
- A little more rain predicted to spray Phoenix area this week
- Woman arrested for alleged manslaughter after Phoenix accident