“They called him ‘burger,’ that was his nickname. He loved hamburgers.”
James Craig smiles as he talks about his little brother, John.
John was the youngest of five boys raised by a single mom. James said John was a Pop Warner football kid who graduated from Maryvale High School. He also played guitar and was an excellent skate boarder.
“He would go down to the skate park and if he had a trick that he needed to perfect or land, he would not give up until he landed that trick,” said James.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Darrin Burch said John’s life came to a tragic and abrupt end.
“On Sunday, November 11, 2012 at about 3:20 [a.m.], the body of 23-year-old John Manger was found in the roadway at 87th Avenue and Camelback Road.”
It appears he was hit by a vehicle that may have been a 2000 to 2001 metallic dark blue Dodge Dakota pickup.
But investigators believe it may be even more sinister than a hit and run.
“There is evidence at the scene that points to the possibility John may have been targeted,” said Burch.
To read more about this case, click here.
- Heroin, fentanyl seized and numerous arrested in Arizona operation
- Phoenix firefighters union requests more staff, say it’s necessary
- Mistrial declared for border agent charged in shooting of Mexican teen
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2013 fatal hit-and-run
- Arizona study finds ZIP codes serve as indicator of community health