It might not still recognized as an addiction, but a new study has found that tanning salons might in fact be addictive.
According to FOX News, a new study published in JAMA Dermatology has found that one in seven people diagnosed with skin cancer who have used tanning beds in the past will continue to do so post-diagnosis.
Overall, 26 patients admitted to using indoor tanning beds within four years post-diagnosis. According to the survey’s results, the patients had tanned a median of 10 times within the past year -though some admitted to tanning as many as 20 times. Patients who had done the most tanning prior to their skin cancer diagnosis were much more likely to still be visiting tanning beds, according to CTV News.
Dermatologists say this behavior leads to “tanning dependence.”
“Patients will often describe that it feels good when they get sun exposure or go to a tanning salon … They talk about needing to do it and craving it, and when they don’t do it, (they have) a feeling of withdrawal,” Langley told CTV News.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food