It might not still recognized as an addiction, but a new study has found that tanning salons might in fact be addictive.
According to FOX News, a new study published in JAMA Dermatology has found that one in seven people diagnosed with skin cancer who have used tanning beds in the past will continue to do so post-diagnosis.
Overall, 26 patients admitted to using indoor tanning beds within four years post-diagnosis. According to the survey’s results, the patients had tanned a median of 10 times within the past year -though some admitted to tanning as many as 20 times. Patients who had done the most tanning prior to their skin cancer diagnosis were much more likely to still be visiting tanning beds, according to CTV News.
Dermatologists say this behavior leads to “tanning dependence.”
“Patients will often describe that it feels good when they get sun exposure or go to a tanning salon … They talk about needing to do it and craving it, and when they don’t do it, (they have) a feeling of withdrawal,” Langley told CTV News.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.