Planning to pressure wash concrete driveways, sidewalks? Here’s how
Spring is a great time to pressure wash concrete driveways and sidewalks.
On your driveway, you might want to use a degreaser first on stubborn stains. Then use a pressure washer with detergent to finish stain removal.
Read the instructions for your power washer carefully. Remember these devices can damage bricks pavers or concrete if you use too high a setting in the cleaning process.
Be sure to wear rubber gloves, eye goggles and rubber boots to prevent accidents. Once your driveway is clean, use a sealer to help prevent future staining on the concrete surface.
But you also want to do a safety inspection of pool decks, patios, sidewalks and driveways.
Some situations that can cause falls or tripping accidents may need repairs soon at your home:
• Large cracks or gaps in the surface of walkways or pool decks.
• Divots or potholes in driveways that need filling.
• Chunks of loose concrete or paving slabs that move or wobble.
• Utility plugs, valves or other objects that protrude above a walkway surface.
• Tree limbs or bushes that are too close to a walkway.
• Sidewalk panels that have been raised up by tree roots. You may need to grind down the raised portion to make the sidewalk level again. Tree roots might have to be cut back.
• Wobbly handrails on stairs and ramps.
• Walkways that can be slippery during rainy conditions. They may need to be coated with a textured finish.
• Walkways and driveways that need better lighting at night.
Keep in mind that according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in four Americans age 65 or over falls each year.
But the above situations can obviously be a danger to family members of all ages.
Rosie on the House
- Springtime snow falls in northern Arizona, bit more likely to come
- Want to keep your garage door working safely? Here’s how
- Interested in inspecting your roof yourself? Here’s what to look for
- 6 things you need to know about gutters and caring for them
- Arizona stargazers will see Lyrid meteor shower, full Pink Moon in April