Wednesday’s outrage centers on the “selfie” photo that President Barack Obama took at the Nelson Mandela Memorial Tuesday, along with the leader of Denmark.
The image of the two, along with Britain’s’ Prime Minister David Cameron, has been seen now around the world.
Why? Because someone took a photo while the selfie was being taken. And of course, the president is being criticized for being selfish, disrespectful and not statesmanlike.
The memorial for Nelson Mandela has been treated as a celebration by most South Africans. Rightfully, the people Mandela governed are celebrating his life instead of mourning him. They sing and dance. They wear traditional African garments. They probably even take selfies.
And what would YOU do if a fellow world leader asked to take a photo with you? Are you going to play President Buzzkill and say no? No, you wouldn’t.
Denmark’s prime minister probably was a little starstruck sitting next to Obama. You know, prime ministers are people too.
Just like rock stars and athletes, big names are often wowed by OTHER big names. Remember Jennifer Lawrence with Jeff Bridges? Yeah. It’s kind of like that.
It’s not like they put Mandela in the picture too. Now that would have been too much.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night