LONDON (AP) – A London policeman has been sentenced to a year in jail for lying about witnessing a government minister swear at police officers.
Keith Wallis claimed he saw Andrew Mitchell insulting police guarding the entrance to Downing Street, the prime minister’s residence. Mitchell was forced to resign a senior Conservative Party post soon after the still-disputed September 2012 incident.
Mitchell admitted losing his temper when police refused to let him cycle through the Downing Street gate, but denied claims he called officers “plebs” _ a derogatory term for working-class people.
A police investigation found Wallis was not present at the scene, as he had claimed.
Judge Nigel Sweeney told Wallis on Thursday that he was guilty of “devious misconduct which fell far below the standards expected of a police officer.”
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development