LONDON (AP) – A London policeman has been sentenced to a year in jail for lying about witnessing a government minister swear at police officers.
Keith Wallis claimed he saw Andrew Mitchell insulting police guarding the entrance to Downing Street, the prime minister’s residence. Mitchell was forced to resign a senior Conservative Party post soon after the still-disputed September 2012 incident.
Mitchell admitted losing his temper when police refused to let him cycle through the Downing Street gate, but denied claims he called officers “plebs” _ a derogatory term for working-class people.
A police investigation found Wallis was not present at the scene, as he had claimed.
Judge Nigel Sweeney told Wallis on Thursday that he was guilty of “devious misconduct which fell far below the standards expected of a police officer.”
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food