BEIJING (AP) – The storm that devastated the Philippines has killed eight people in southern China and inflicted hundreds of millions of dollars in damage to farming and fishing industries, state media reported Tuesday.
Typhoon Haiyan, which slammed into the Philippines last Friday as one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall, already had weakened to a tropical storm by the time it crossed into southern China on Monday. But it still had gusts up to 100 kilometers per hour (60 miles per hour) and dropped up to 38 centimeters (15 inches) of rain over some parts of Guangxi province.
Hardest hit in China was the southern island of Hainan, where the approaching storm wrenched a cargo ship from its moorings Sunday, drove it out to sea and prevented rescue attempts by speed boat and helicopter. Three bodies were recovered and four crew members remained missing, China National Radio said.
By Tuesday, four other people in Hainan were confirmed dead, including two people hit by falling objects, according to China National Radio, which said the storm caused up to $700 million in damage to agricultural, forestry, poultry and fishing industries there.
An additional person drowned in Guangxi, China News Service reported.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon