PAMPLONA, Spain (AP) – A bull gored an Australian woman and left her seriously injured during the final bull run of this year’s annual San Fermin festival in Spain on Sunday. Four other runners were hospitalized with cuts and bruises.
The 23-year-old woman, identified only as J.E., was gored in the back and suffered multiple rib fractures and damage to her right lung that left her in “very grave” condition after an operation at Navarra Hospital, said the regional government that organizes the festival.
The Australian was struck by a massive Miura bull as she clung to wooden barriers outside the bullring entrance, said regional health authority spokesman Javier Sesma.
It is very rare for women to be gored during the annual festival since most of the runners are men. Javier Solano, a San Fermin expert working for national broadcaster TVE, said records showed only two other women had been injured by gorings in the recent history of the fiesta.
The four injured runners who were tossed by bulls or fell as they ran were identified as a 39-year-old man from California, a 23-year-old man from Madrid and two men from Navarra, said the regional government organizers. None of those injuries were serious.
Dramatic confrontations between runners and bulls had occurred during the previous two days of the festival.
A 19-year-old Spaniard who had stopped breathing after being crushed by large pileup of fallen runners on Saturday has recovered consciousness and begun to breathe without mechanical assistance, Sesma said Sunday.
A 35-year-old American man from Cleveland, Ohio, who was gored by a bull Saturday was recovering “favorably” from a “rectal perforation” that affected his abdomen and a kidney, said a Navarra Hospital statement.
Patrick Eccles, a 20-year-old University of Utah student who was gored Friday, was in a stable condition and improving after having had his spleen removed, the statement said.
Miura bulls, which can weigh 695 kilograms (1,530 pounds), are renowned as Spain’s largest and fastest fighting bulls, and Sunday’s bull run was quick, taking 2 minutes, 16 seconds to cover 928 yards (850 meters) from stables just outside Pamplona’s medieval stone wall to the central bullring.
Despite the animals’ size and strength, experts admire Miuras for their explosive acceleration, stamina and grace, characteristics that inspired legendary Italian car maker, the late Ferruccio Lamborghini, to name one of his iconic sports cars after the breed.
The San Fermin festival, which honors the patron saint of this northern city, dates back to the late 16th century and is also known for its all-night street parties, where copious quantities of red wine from Navarra and Rioja are consumed and sprinkled around.
The festivities were made famous by Ernest Hemingway’s 1926 novel “The Sun Also Rises.”
Associated Press writer Harold Heckle contributed from Madrid.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas