CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) – Venezuela’s highest court has rejected opposition leader Henrique Capriles’ challenge to the official outcome of the April 14 election that he narrowly lost to President Nicolas Maduro.
The court on Wednesday Capriles attempt to void the results was “inadmissible.” He alleged widespread fraud in a vote he officially lost by a 1.5-percentage-point margin.
Court President Gladys Gutierrez said Capriles’ challenge “trivialized” democratic debate and sought to undermine the credibility of public institutions.
All branches of Venezuela’s government were firmly in the hands of the ruling socialists long before the late President Hugo Chavez died of cancer in March.
Maduro was hand-picked by Chavez to succeed him but squandered a double-digit lead in the campaign’s last weeks as doubts increased about his ability to manage a troubled economy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night