MANILA, Philippines (AP) – President Benigno Aquino III on Thursday rejected the Philippine energy secretary’s offer to resign for failing to meet his self-imposed target to restore power in all typhoon-ravaged towns by Christmas Eve, an official said.
Aquino instead praised Jericho Petilla for “excellent performance” for re-energizing 317 of 320 towns that lost power after Typhoon Haiyan hit last month, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.
It was originally estimated it would take up to six months to restore power but Petilla managed to do most of the work in 40 days, he said.
Haiyan’s ferocious wind and storm surges knocked down thousands of transmission towers and electric posts including in worst-hit Tacloban city in Leyte province, where a major geothermal plant was damaged, officials said.
Aquino said “he has no intention of losing the services of an honorable public servant,” according to Lacierda.
While power has been restored to grids, many houses and businesses could not connect due to damaged wiring and toppled electric posts. As a result, many people spent Christmas in the dark, including in Tacloban, where only a few downtown streets had lights working.
The Nov. 8 typhoon killed at least 6,100 people in the central Philippines, displaced at least 4 million others and left its most gruesome mark on Tacloban, a city of 240,000 that will need years to recover.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets