MEXICO CITY (AP) – Three inmates were beaten to death inside a prison in the resort city of Acapulco on Monday, an attack linked to a shootout inside another penitentiary last week that left 10 people dead.
The three men were killed after being transferred to Acapulco from a prison in the city of Iguala, where five gunmen, four inmates and a guard died in a shootout last week, said a Guerrero state official.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the inmates were killed hours after arriving at the prison.
Guerrero state prosecutors said in a statement the inmates killed Monday had been sentenced to up to 35 years in prison for robbery and homicide.
Last week, a group of six gunmen managed to enter the prison in Iguala and opened fire, killing four inmates.
They then opened fire on guards who returned fire, killing five gunmen. A prison guard was also killed.
The gunmen apparently gained entry to the prison by telling a guard at the gate that they were officials bringing in a prisoner.
Mexican drug gangs have been known to assassinate members of rival gangs in prison. They have also have stormed prisons to free gang members.
Guerrero state authorities said they haven’t determined what group or groups are behind the attacks.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon