MEXICO CITY (AP) – Three inmates were beaten to death inside a prison in the resort city of Acapulco on Monday, an attack linked to a shootout inside another penitentiary last week that left 10 people dead.
The three men were killed after being transferred to Acapulco from a prison in the city of Iguala, where five gunmen, four inmates and a guard died in a shootout last week, said a Guerrero state official.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the inmates were killed hours after arriving at the prison.
Guerrero state prosecutors said in a statement the inmates killed Monday had been sentenced to up to 35 years in prison for robbery and homicide.
Last week, a group of six gunmen managed to enter the prison in Iguala and opened fire, killing four inmates.
They then opened fire on guards who returned fire, killing five gunmen. A prison guard was also killed.
The gunmen apparently gained entry to the prison by telling a guard at the gate that they were officials bringing in a prisoner.
Mexican drug gangs have been known to assassinate members of rival gangs in prison. They have also have stormed prisons to free gang members.
Guerrero state authorities said they haven’t determined what group or groups are behind the attacks.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl