MEXICO CITY (AP) – Three inmates were beaten to death inside a prison in the resort city of Acapulco on Monday, an attack linked to a shootout inside another penitentiary last week that left 10 people dead.
The three men were killed after being transferred to Acapulco from a prison in the city of Iguala, where five gunmen, four inmates and a guard died in a shootout last week, said a Guerrero state official.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he’s not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the inmates were killed hours after arriving at the prison.
Guerrero state prosecutors said in a statement the inmates killed Monday had been sentenced to up to 35 years in prison for robbery and homicide.
Last week, a group of six gunmen managed to enter the prison in Iguala and opened fire, killing four inmates.
They then opened fire on guards who returned fire, killing five gunmen. A prison guard was also killed.
The gunmen apparently gained entry to the prison by telling a guard at the gate that they were officials bringing in a prisoner.
Mexican drug gangs have been known to assassinate members of rival gangs in prison. They have also have stormed prisons to free gang members.
Guerrero state authorities said they haven’t determined what group or groups are behind the attacks.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night