DAKAR, Senegal (AP) – The Congolese government spokesman says the military, backed by United Nations peacekeepers, has taken back a town in eastern Congo occupied by a Ugandan rebel group.
Lambert Mende said Thursday the army took back Kamango on Christmas Day, hours after it was seized by ADF-NALU, a rebel group founded in Uganda which is now making incursions into Congo. Mende said at least 22 people were killed in the operation, mostly civilians.
South African pilots belonging to a new U.N. brigade provided air support, bombing rebel positions.
For years, the Congolese and U.N. peacekeepers appeared powerless in the face of the numerous rebel groups ensconced in Congo. That changed this year with the creation of the U.N. brigade, which has an aggressive mandate allowing peacekeepers to hunt down the armed groups.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas