MEXICO CITY (AP) – An airport serving Mexico’s fourth-largest city suspended operations for seven hours because of volcanic ash from the Popocatepetl volcano.
The international airport in Puebla was temporarily closed as a precautionary measure, said Puebla airport spokesman Herbert Lopez Palma.
Palma said the airport re-opened after the ash stopped falling and the airstrips were cleaned up.
The temporary closure affected six domestic and international flights to Houston and Dallas, Texas.
The airport is east of Mexico City and about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from the 17,886-foot (5,450-meter) volcano.
At the Mexico City airport, Alaska Airlines on Friday canceled its daily flight to and from Los Angeles.
Authorities said this week that a lava dome is growing inside the crater and could cause further eruptions.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them