Norterra Elementary teacher wins Mac & Gaydos’ Pay Tribute to a Teacher
PHOENIX — Leslie Harris’ third-grade students were happy to see her win $1,000, but they only wanted to use it for one thing: “Pizza!”
Harris was awarded the prize through Mac & Gaydos’ Pay Tribute to a Teacher program, which rewards local teachers each month for their hard work and dedication.
Harris teaches at Norterra Canyon Elementary in Phoenix’s Deer Valley Unified School District and was selected for being a role model to teachers everywhere.
One of her fans said Harris introduced alternative seating (bean bags, yoga balls, etc.) in her classroom. A few students needed the seating arrangements, but rather than single them out, she made them available to all of her students.
Harris said she planned to use the money toward classroom items such as textbooks and a bookshelf, and maybe even a dinner for her and her family.
But at the end of the day, the students got what they wanted — she ordered pizza for the class.
Editor’s note: To nominate a teacher having an impact on your or your children’s lives, text the word “teacher” to 411923.
Mac & Gaydos
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Gov. Doug Ducey explains his support for Trump’s national emergency
- Woman says she pulled daughter out of Hacienda after sex assault
- Penzone: Officers are often ‘premature in choosing’ tools like stun guns
- Phoenix Police dispute Cindy McCain’s claim of human trafficking at airport
- Cindy McCain says she witnessed human trafficking at Phoenix airport