MEXICO CITY (AP) – State security officials say seven inmates have died in a prison riot in Mexico’s Gulf coast state of Tamaulipas bordering Texas.
Tamaulipas security chief and state attorney general say the inmates were killed with makeshift knives in a fight in one cellblock in the coastal city of Altamira, about 300 miles south of Brownsville, Texas. Officials said in a statement Saturday that the riot occurred about 6 a.m. local time.
Two people were injured and nine were arrested, the statement said.
The victims ranged in age from 20 to 59, and were serving time for federal and state crimes.
Officials said nine inmates were responsible for starting the fight because of problems they had with the victims.
Thirty-one prisoners died in a riot in the same prison early last year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns