CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) – Venezuelan officials found 106 firearms and more than 8,000 rounds of ammunition inside a prison following a riot last month that killed 58 people, nearly all of them inmates, the country’s top prison authority said Thursday.
Iris Varela said at a news conference the weaponry was discovered at the Uribana prison in the western city of Barquisimeto after officials evacuated and searched the facility following the Jan. 25 riot. The weapons included revolvers, shotguns, submachine guns and assault rifles used by the military, she said.
Varela said the violence erupted when a small group of inmates began shooting at other prisoners while they were being searched by authorities.
“Not all of them were killed as a result of the shooting,” she said.
One inmate was killed by being thrown from the top of the building while another was burned to death, allegedly by fellow inmates, Varela said. A third died of stab wounds.
Varela said inmates who were transferred to other prisons will be returned to Uribana within a couple of months.
Venezuela has 33 functioning prisons that were built to hold about 16,000 inmates but are packed with more than 48,000 inmates, according to local human rights organizations.
Uribana was built to house about 850 inmates. It had about 2,400 when the violence erupted.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.