CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) – Venezuelan officials found 106 firearms and more than 8,000 rounds of ammunition inside a prison following a riot last month that killed 58 people, nearly all of them inmates, the country’s top prison authority said Thursday.
Iris Varela said at a news conference the weaponry was discovered at the Uribana prison in the western city of Barquisimeto after officials evacuated and searched the facility following the Jan. 25 riot. The weapons included revolvers, shotguns, submachine guns and assault rifles used by the military, she said.
Varela said the violence erupted when a small group of inmates began shooting at other prisoners while they were being searched by authorities.
“Not all of them were killed as a result of the shooting,” she said.
One inmate was killed by being thrown from the top of the building while another was burned to death, allegedly by fellow inmates, Varela said. A third died of stab wounds.
Varela said inmates who were transferred to other prisons will be returned to Uribana within a couple of months.
Venezuela has 33 functioning prisons that were built to hold about 16,000 inmates but are packed with more than 48,000 inmates, according to local human rights organizations.
Uribana was built to house about 850 inmates. It had about 2,400 when the violence erupted.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl