CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) – Venezuelan officials found 106 firearms and more than 8,000 rounds of ammunition inside a prison following a riot last month that killed 58 people, nearly all of them inmates, the country’s top prison authority said Thursday.
Iris Varela said at a news conference the weaponry was discovered at the Uribana prison in the western city of Barquisimeto after officials evacuated and searched the facility following the Jan. 25 riot. The weapons included revolvers, shotguns, submachine guns and assault rifles used by the military, she said.
Varela said the violence erupted when a small group of inmates began shooting at other prisoners while they were being searched by authorities.
“Not all of them were killed as a result of the shooting,” she said.
One inmate was killed by being thrown from the top of the building while another was burned to death, allegedly by fellow inmates, Varela said. A third died of stab wounds.
Varela said inmates who were transferred to other prisons will be returned to Uribana within a couple of months.
Venezuela has 33 functioning prisons that were built to hold about 16,000 inmates but are packed with more than 48,000 inmates, according to local human rights organizations.
Uribana was built to house about 850 inmates. It had about 2,400 when the violence erupted.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development