VIENNA (AP) – The head of the U.N. nuclear agency says Iran has cut its stock of uranium that is closest to atomic weapons-grade.
Under an interim deal with six world powers, Iran is to dilute half of its 20-percent-enriched uranium to a lower grade suitable for use as reactor fuel. Yukiya Amano told the agency’s 35-nation board Monday that that process “has reached the halfway mark.”
The other half of the uranium is to be changed into a form that is relatively difficult to reconvert to 20 percent.
Uranium enriched to 20 percent is only a technical step away from the 90-percent level needed for weapons.
Tehran denies wanting nuclear arms but has agreed to temporarily curb atomic work in exchange for sanctions relief as the sides work on a fuller deal.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again