WASHINGTON (AP) – Secretary of State John Kerry says his counterparts in other nations know President Barack Obama didn’t order up all the snooping that the National Security Agency conducted abroad.
While traveling in the United Arab Emirates, Kerry told the BBC that his foreign counterparts have been understanding about the recent revelations of widespread NSA surveillance, and know that the Obama administration is trying to find a way forward that can fight terrorism in a way that respects privacy.
Kerry says Obama didn’t personally order all the various types of snooping that have been revealed by former NSA systems analyst Edward Snowden _ that the scope of the NSA work evolved over a long period of time.
Earlier, Kerry said in Warsaw that Europeans and others have “legitimate” questions about the surveillance.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets