WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama’s intelligence chief says more U.S. training and equipment for Syria’s moderate rebels could boost the fight against the Assad government.
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper didn’t forecast any new U.S. policy in Syria’s civil war. But asked about U.S. training and equipment for vetted moderate units, Clapper said greater support could help.
The Obama administration, fearful about growing extremism, has provided limited lethal aid to Syria’s opposition.
It has focused most energy on peace talks between Syria’s opposition and government. The negotiations have made little progress.
Clapper was testifying Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
He said Syria’s insurgency totals 75,000 to 115,000 fighters. Some 7,500 are foreigners, including veterans of Afghanistan and Pakistan fighting who harbor aspirations of attacking Europe or the U.S.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development