WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama’s intelligence chief says more U.S. training and equipment for Syria’s moderate rebels could boost the fight against the Assad government.
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper didn’t forecast any new U.S. policy in Syria’s civil war. But asked about U.S. training and equipment for vetted moderate units, Clapper said greater support could help.
The Obama administration, fearful about growing extremism, has provided limited lethal aid to Syria’s opposition.
It has focused most energy on peace talks between Syria’s opposition and government. The negotiations have made little progress.
Clapper was testifying Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
He said Syria’s insurgency totals 75,000 to 115,000 fighters. Some 7,500 are foreigners, including veterans of Afghanistan and Pakistan fighting who harbor aspirations of attacking Europe or the U.S.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food