WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama’s intelligence chief says more U.S. training and equipment for Syria’s moderate rebels could boost the fight against the Assad government.
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper didn’t forecast any new U.S. policy in Syria’s civil war. But asked about U.S. training and equipment for vetted moderate units, Clapper said greater support could help.
The Obama administration, fearful about growing extremism, has provided limited lethal aid to Syria’s opposition.
It has focused most energy on peace talks between Syria’s opposition and government. The negotiations have made little progress.
Clapper was testifying Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
He said Syria’s insurgency totals 75,000 to 115,000 fighters. Some 7,500 are foreigners, including veterans of Afghanistan and Pakistan fighting who harbor aspirations of attacking Europe or the U.S.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas