WASHINGTON (AP) – The comprehensive, $632.8 billion defense bill heading to President Barack Obama for his signature would crack down on sexual assault in the military, authorize combat pay for the troops and cover the cost of new ships, aircraft and weapons.
Sen. John McCain of Arizona said in a released statement that he was pleased with the passage of the bill and “urged President Obama to sign this important legislation into law as soon as possible.”
A look at the legislation:
_Authorizes $552.1 billion for the core budget, including $17.6 billion for defense programs within the Energy Department and $80.7 billion for the war in Afghanistan and other overseas operations.
_Provides a 1 percent pay raise for military personnel.
_Authorizes the size of the force at 520,000 for the Army; 323,600 for the Navy; 190,200 for the Marine Corps and 327,600 for the Air Force.
_Authorizes funds for the destruction of chemical weapons in Syria.
_Strips military commanders of their ability to overturn jury convictions.
_Requires a civilian review if a commander declines to prosecute a case.
_Requires that any individual convicted of sexual assault face a dishonorable discharge or dismissal.
_Provides victims of sexual assault or rape with legal counsel.
_Eliminates the statute of limitations for courts-martial in rape and sexual assault cases, and criminalizes retaliation against victims who report a sexual assault.
_Changes the military’s Article 32 proceedings to limit intrusive questioning of victims, making it more similar to a grand jury.
_Requires the Pentagon to deploy an additional missile defense radar to protect the United States from long-range missile threats from North Korea, and authorizes $30 million for initial costs toward deployment.
_Prohibits the transfer of terror suspects from the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to the United States and bars construction of detainee facilities in the U.S. Gives the president more flexibility in transferring prisoners overseas.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets