WASHINGTON (AP) – A new TV ad that urges Congress to oppose U.S. military strikes against Syria underscores the difficulty President Barack Obama is having in getting war-weary liberals to support him.
The 30-second ad by the liberal activist group MoveOn.org says the U.S. didn’t set out to spend eight years at war in Iraq and a decade in Afghanistan and predicts the same thing will happen if Congress approves Obama’s desired military action in Syria.
Obama says the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad should be punished for carrying out a deadly chemical weapons attack last month outside the capital of Damascus.
The ad, titled “Not Again,” concludes by telling Congress, “Don’t lead us down this road again.” Viewers are given a telephone number and urged to call Congress to voice opposition.
The full Senate could vote by the end of this week on whether to give Obama authority to use military force, though many lawmakers in both parties are opposed to doing so.
MoveOn says the ad will air this week on MSNBC, with a heavier rotation around Obama’s planned address to the nation Tuesday night.
The group is spending in the “mid five figures” to air the commercial.
MoveOn was one of Obama’s biggest campaign supporters, but Anna Galland, its executive director, said in an interview Saturday that the organization is following the will of its members. During a recent 24-hour vote, more than 70 percent of MoveOn’s members came out against military strikes, she said. Recent surveys also show public opinion running against U.S. intervention.
Galland said the group “will stand closely” with Obama on other issues, such as the implementation of his health care law. But on Syria, “we had a very clear mandate from our members to go out strongly on this,” she said. “This is a big moment.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food