WASHINGTON (AP) – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says President Barack Obama approved plans in June to give lethal aid to Syrian rebels, making the decision public for the first time.
Hagel and Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, both referred to the covert aid during a hearing on Obama’s request that Congress approve military action against Syria.
Corker said he has been dismayed at the lack of support that has flowed to the rebels despite the promises of lethal aid.
Hagel acknowledged that Obama decided in June to send lethal aid to the rebels. He said the Pentagon has not been directly involved because it is “a covert action.”
Officials have spoken quietly about the expected CIA aid but say none has been delivered.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy