WASHINGTON (AP) – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says President Barack Obama approved plans in June to give lethal aid to Syrian rebels, making the decision public for the first time.
Hagel and Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, both referred to the covert aid during a hearing on Obama’s request that Congress approve military action against Syria.
Corker said he has been dismayed at the lack of support that has flowed to the rebels despite the promises of lethal aid.
Hagel acknowledged that Obama decided in June to send lethal aid to the rebels. He said the Pentagon has not been directly involved because it is “a covert action.”
Officials have spoken quietly about the expected CIA aid but say none has been delivered.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development