Free HIV testing to be offered around the Valley on June 27
PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix has joined cities that have committed to eradicate HIV by 2030.
Aunt Rita’s Foundation, a non-profit organization based in Arizona, is offering free testing at several Walgreens and other locations around the Valley on June 27.
In addition, the group is selling HIV home test kits for the first time.
The at-home tests take 20 to 40 minutes to complete.
“This means that people in rural communities, or those afraid to see a doctor can do the test privately at home,” spokesperson Tony Felice said in a statement. “Most people don’t realize that if they know their status and get on medication they can almost always live normal happy lives.”
Of the 19,000 people with HIV in Arizona, almost 3,000 don’t know their status, according to the foundation.
“Someone who is positive and on medication has a near-zero chance of passing the virus to their partner,” Felice said.
The locations and times of free testing offered on June 27 include:
- Walgreens, 4111 N. 24th St., Phoenix, AZ 85016 (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Walgreens, 1825 W. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85015 (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS, 1101 N. Central Ave., Suite 200, Phoenix, AZ 85004 (8 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Native Health, 4041 N. Central Ave., Building C, Phoenix, AZ 85012 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Terros Health, 333 E. Indian School Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85012 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Ebony House, 39 E. Jackson St., Phoenix, AZ 85004 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Planned Parenthood of Arizona, Tempe Health Center, 1837 E. Baseline Road, Tempe, AZ 85283 (9:00 to 5:00 p.m.)
- Planned Parenthood of Arizona, Maryvale Health Center, 4616 N 51st Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85031 (9 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
- Planned Parenthood of Arizona, Central Health Center, 4751 N 15th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85014 (12 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Buckeye, Oro Valley top list of 20 safest cities in Arizona
- Arizona National Guard unit prepares for deployment to Middle East
- Here are the restaurants participating in Arizona Restaurant Week
- President Donald Trump will not make Phoenix visit this month
- 8 dead, three injured after head-on crash in south-central Arizona