WASHINGTON (AP) – The White House is threatening a veto of a House Republican proposal creating a special congressional committee that would have authority to recommend steps to raise the debt limit and reduce spending.
The White House Office of Management and Budget says President Barack Obama would veto the measure if it reached his desk. The budget office also say the White House opposes joining that legislation with a proposal to pay federal workers who have had to remain at their posts during the government shutdown.
Without congressional action, those workers would miss their next regularly scheduled paycheck on Oct. 15.
House Republican leaders unveiled the joint proposals Tuesday.
In a statement, the White House urged the House to reopen the government and pass an increase in the debt ceiling without conditions.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
President Barack Obama says he’s fighting the budget battle because “we can’t make extortion routine as part of our democracy.”
Obama says he’s willing to not only negotiate fiscal issues with Republicans, but changes to health care law. But he says first he wants them to pass a bill to stop a partial government shutdown.
Obama noted in a news conference at the White House Tuesday that the shutdown already made him cancel a trip to Asia this week. He argued the shutdown is hurting U.S. credibility around the world and _ quote _ “makes it look like we don’t have our act together.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon