WASHINGTON (AP) – The White House is threatening a veto of a House Republican proposal creating a special congressional committee that would have authority to recommend steps to raise the debt limit and reduce spending.
The White House Office of Management and Budget says President Barack Obama would veto the measure if it reached his desk. The budget office also say the White House opposes joining that legislation with a proposal to pay federal workers who have had to remain at their posts during the government shutdown.
Without congressional action, those workers would miss their next regularly scheduled paycheck on Oct. 15.
House Republican leaders unveiled the joint proposals Tuesday.
In a statement, the White House urged the House to reopen the government and pass an increase in the debt ceiling without conditions.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
President Barack Obama says he’s fighting the budget battle because “we can’t make extortion routine as part of our democracy.”
Obama says he’s willing to not only negotiate fiscal issues with Republicans, but changes to health care law. But he says first he wants them to pass a bill to stop a partial government shutdown.
Obama noted in a news conference at the White House Tuesday that the shutdown already made him cancel a trip to Asia this week. He argued the shutdown is hurting U.S. credibility around the world and _ quote _ “makes it look like we don’t have our act together.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier