WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the Senate’s opposition to a bill
that would have expanded background checks for gun buyers marks a “shameful day
for Washington.” He says a minority of senators decided “it wasn’t worth it”
to protect the nation’s children.
Obama spoke in the Rose Garden shortly after the Senate vote. It marked a major
blow to the gun control push Obama started in the wake of December’s shooting at
a Newtown, Conn., elementary school.
The president pinned the blame for the measures’ failure on Republicans, though
five Democrats also opposed the plan.
Obama was introduced by the father of a 7-year-old killed in the shooting.
Other families joined him in the Rose Garden, along with former Arizona Rep.
Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head in 2011.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America