Arizona gang member sentenced to life in prison for murder
PHOENIX (AP) – A gang member in Sacaton has been sentenced to life in prison for a 2014 fatal shooting.
Federal prosecutors say 30-year-old George Alonzo Renteria was sentenced Monday.
He previously was convicted at a jury trial of first-degree murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and discharging a firearm in a crime of violence.
Authorities say Renteria encountered the victim in the Phoenix suburb of Chandler in February 2014.
They say Renteria then drove the victim to a deserted field on the Gila River Indian Community south of Phoenix and fatally shot him with a handgun.
Prosecutors say Renteria is a longtime member of a street gang with a violent criminal history.
At the time of the murder, he was on federal supervised release for a prior robbery conviction.
- Arizona woman accused of faking kidnapping, killing boyfriend
- Suspect arrested for killing man, hiding body at Tolleson farm
- MCSO searching for man suspected of killing woman near Goodyear
- Retrial for ex-NAU student charged in fatal shooting set for March
- Jodi Arias’ lawyers get more time to file opening brief of murder appeal